Friday, April 4, 2008

my new job

I recently started my new job. I work at a gym, and it immediately started to amuse me on my first day. I work at Planet Fitness, a major gym franchise, branching out throughout the United States. We are considered a "judgment free zone". This means we do not cater to body building or heavy weight lifting. When I first heard this I let out a little smirk, considering hey this is Staten Island. I would say ninety percent of the time when I am out on this island, all I see are guys that resemble "wannabe bodybuilders".

Also at Planet Fitness we implement a few rules and even a dress code, sometimes this seems a little extravagant but in all honesty it is quite necessary. We implement the no "lunk" rule. Basically do not be a big meat head and grunt with each rep you do. Also do not drop the weights, or the dreaded "lunk" alarm will ring throughout the gym, then be ready to say bye bye to your gym day. Our dress code consists of no jeans which is understandable, no boots/sandals, once again understandable. But then there is no durags/bandannas/skull caps. This is because it might be "gang related". But what really got me was one instance.

A man walked in with a bandanna over his head, and one of my co-workers politely told him that he could not wear it and he responded with saying "But, I just got out of chemotherapy". But my co-worker insisted he take it off, because if we let him keep it on, everyone would want to. These instances I think are ridiculous, but who am I? Just an employee at a franchise gym.

No comments: