Monday, February 11, 2008

Staten Island vs. Jersey

Staten Island vs. Jersey, hmm what to say. We're close relatives, only a bridge ride away, whether it is the Goethals or Outerbridge, but that's all I can say collaborately about the both.

Let's start with Jersey, my hometown, birth of Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, the love of the beach. Thinking about Jersey really pings my heart. I get very sentimental thinking about my hometown. I moved to Staten Island in August, and I try and go back to Jersey each chance I get. My boyfriend, my family, my first friends and my bed are all in Jersey. I live within the radius of seven malls, all holding stores that I adore. We have Hooters and Bloomingdales. Yes there is quite a stench on the turnpike but not that of the West Shore Expressway as you pass the garbage dump. We talk with somewhat of an accent but not that of the missing R in this place called Staten Island. Jersey is home to Giants stadium, and soon to be an indoor ski ramp. I can go on and on about the state I call home.

Staten Island on the other hand, does not have a Hooters nor a Bloomingdales. There is one mall, where it seems like EVERYONE hangs out, so parking is impossible. You see the same people everyday in the same places. They don't speak using R's and make fun of Jersey. I think the funniest thing I heard was "Jersey girls aren't trash, trash gets picked up" c'mon now, this phrase can hold true for any state. Staten Island is like forgotten with most things. And the traffic really sucks, it's like everyone decides to drive on victory at the same exact time.

I guess you can say I love Jersey but I don't necessarily hate Staten Island, I'll get used to it.

1 comment:

Statens Island said...

Thanks for such a nice information about the Staten Island and Jersey Both are beautiful places....

Thanks

http://statenislandpages.com/forum/